View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #44
Jonny S&V
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP100 View Post
1. Watch the ball....you don't.
2. Serve...higher ball toss.
1. No-one does truly watch the ball all the way into the racquet (save for Fed). It's unnecessary.
2. No. His toss is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCF View Post
Will, I have been coaching for 20 years and work with lots of college coaches. I am sorry but even though your strokes look good on video, they could not care less. No offense, but I can not tell you how many guys look amazing on video but simply can not win big matches. Pretty strokes do not a winner make.

This is reality:

https://www.tennisrecruiting.net/player.asp?id=764657

2 star recruit and 950 schedule strength. And you are already a senior. A D-1 coaching job is tough to get, they do not take chances on players without top notched results.

Your options are to try and walk on and get them to realize that you have only played 3 years and will improve fast. But D-1 coaches are not in the business of player development. They need to win now and will do so with foreign guys if needed.

Reality is no D-1 coaches will look at your video. Their assistants weed out the guys with your results. Sorry, reality stinks sometimes! Maybe your high school coach has some connections to bypass the system?

You can try to walk on at D-1. But more realistically would be a lower level college program. Most likely your funding will be student loans. Tennis scholarships for guys are tough to come by and only partials for all but a handful.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCF View Post
Good luck. If you really want D-1 do not let my reality post deter you. You will just need to think outside the box and get yourself in front of coaches. I think the fact you have only been playing 3 years and have improved so fast may intrigue a coach somewhere.

A little advice, its awful about your uncle, grandfather, and Achilles....but leave that out of any discussions with recruiters. They will all say the same thing....odds are the guys you played also were having personal issues of some sort, yet they still won. (college recruiters and coaches can be brutal) They do not want to hear any explanations for poor results, they only want to see good results.

But remember that their assistants will not put the tape in front of them based on the current results. So you will need to be crafty and persistent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rktennis1 View Post
I'm currently a college coach...let me give you my opinion. I'm going to be as direct and honest as I can be as if I was recruiting you.
First of all I like your game and your being proactive. Quite honestly most coaches will never watch that video, we don't have to. We can see your record and the kids you beat and the ones you don't. I use the recruiting videos to look at foreign kids, as it's my only option. Besides, if I see a video, I want to see a video of actual sanctioned tournament play.

Now as far as level goes d1 would be tough. I would never sell a kid short though. Too put it in perspective, my naia school brought in a kid #478 in the country and he's my #9 guy and will never play. Its tough. If you want to sell yourself to a division 1 school and would sell a school on your upside/potential and work ethic. You've only been playing three years, just think of the strides you could make, thats how I'd approach it.

Now a personal note, some advice... Does it have to be d1? Is that just a personal goal, or your coach recommended it? There are a lot of great d2, d3, naia schools in the southeast. It sucks to be the number #10 guy on a d1 squad and work your butt off and give up so many fun aspects of college to never play, trust me. I would go to a school where you will get most of school paid for, get a great education, make the lineup, and still get to be a normal kid.....my opinion. But if it has to be d1, you can do it, but you have to decide if it's worth it.

If you want some recommendations for schools or about the whole process, let me know. I used to be an assistant coach at one of the schools on your list, and I'd be glad to help.
I like how everyone puts DI on this pedestal, like it's impossible for a decent high school player to play on a DI team. I mean, yeah, if you wanna play on a top 75 DI school, it's virtually a requirement that you be around a 4-star on TRN.

But if he merely wants to play DI (where there's most likely consistent monies and facilities), there are PLENTY of DI schools that he could go to and start as a true freshman, such as Western Illinois U, Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville, South Dakota State (although SDSU has been upping their recruiting standards lately), etc... Those are just schools I've had experiences with. I'm sure there are many schools just like the aforementioned schools around the nation that could fit a guy like the OP.