View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #28
TimothyO
Hall Of Fame

Update on Luxilon 4G as cross:

I now have both of my 200 Tours strung with VS Tour / 4G 16.

I've noticed something interesting about how it ages. For the first few hours it's very comfortable, it then goes through a brief period of less comfort, and then settles in for the long haul to something close to a pillow!

When I had the first frame strung with 4G I was worried that it may not be all that comfortable over the long haul. I felt indications that it was becoming stiff, dead, and boardy. I was ready to give up on 4G and had the other Tour strung with VS / Pro Red Code 16.

After several more hours of play with both I noticed the PRC frame was hurting my arm while the 4G was becoming softer!

So I had the PRC frame restrung with VS / 4G. The second 4G frame has followed the same sequence: perfect comfort at first, a brief period of less comfort, and then it breaks in to perfectly soft and pillow like.

At all times the 4G provides amazing control and good spin potential. Of the many poly crosses I've tried with gut it provides the best combination of control and comfort (other provide equal comfort but not nearly as much comtrol). Spin potential is not quite as good as other but certainly good enough. I'm glad that I didn't panic and cut out the 4G when it went through that brief period of lower comfort (but never truly uncomfortable).