View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Irvin
G.O.A.T.

If you are having trouble with you Tour my guess is your problem is with 8H to tie off your mains. I would not use an awl especially using natty gut string. if you have a starting clamp insert the tie off string from the outside main before you pull tension on the 7th main. Make sure you get the poly crosses in early too while you clamp are at the bottom on the 6th mains. That way you won't have any cross over issues. Getting the poly cross in the tie off should be easier because you are using poly but be careful not to nick the gut with a sharp point on the poly.

Using a pathfinder awl would be fine in you have one. I would insert the awl befor putting in the 6th main string in. I have heard of someone using a basketball needle for a pathfinder awl. Since there is no centr awl to push the awl through with though I would insert it before getting a tensioned string in the hole. You are going to have to gring off the tip if the basketball needle and make real sure there are no burrs.