View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
floridatennisdude
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babolatbarry View Post
I'm not one of those kids that can play USTA tournaments 3 to 5 times a month.... and just wondering if there are any colleges that don't solely use USTA as their base of search?
I apolgize if I seem a little green on this subject.
It will severely limit you. Coaches look at tourney results as a proving ground. High school tennis is such a wide range of skills that it doesn't tell anything significant.

That being said, it's not impossible. I don't have an example to provide of a player that did it, but there has to be one. I'm a big fan of kids playing high school tennis. If kids think they are too good for it, they should home school and train full time.

As Clark stated, even a minimum amount of tourney play is a good idea. Being an NC resident spending the prime recruiting time in FL doesn't mean you can't play here. You'll just be blocked out of section Closed events. But, between Tampa and Orlando alone, there is 2 or 3 events on any given weekend to play. Less up near Jacksonville, but a lot down in South Fl as well. TRN will pick up results from any event you play. That's the more important ranking than a state or section.
floridatennisdude is offline   Reply With Quote