View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #49
dangalak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcbtennis View Post
I have a boy and a girl who both started playing at the same time with the same coach. Though they started at the same time and were taught the same technique, their paths diverged. My son hits with heavy topspin with a compact backswing and my daughter hits flatter with a much larger backswing. In fact we are working to shorten her backswing because it way too big.

I think that you are right in that my daughter's forehand was attackable until she developed a flatter and deeper ball.
Wouldn't it make more sense to have a compact swing for a flat ball and a long swing for topspin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpinhitter View Post
I don't know why you would think that. I'm guessing you haven't seen what genuine old school, wood racquet, strokes look like. Del Potro's forehand is far from old school. He hits way out front with a huge upward trajectory and big upper body rotation. None of that is old school.

In any event, you can confirm how much spin he hits just by looking at how hard he hits and the flight of his ball. He couldn't keep the ball in the court without a huge spin rate.
Eh, he finishes close to his shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominikk1985 View Post
the main reason is that women hit flatter because they don't have as much RHS. thus they need to hit more through the ball because if they hit with the same spin as men their balls would be "sitting up".

there were some women who hit spinny (sanchez, sabatini, schiavone) but most of them don't hit hard. there were very few women who were strong enough to hit hard and spinny (henin, stosur, mauresmo).

men on the other hand are so strong that they have to hit spinny to keep the ball in.
Mauresmo hitting hard? Always thought she was considered underpowered and her forehand sitting up a lot.
dangalak is offline   Reply With Quote