Originally Posted by tennis tom
I'm still working on mine and it's been about 50 years but it's coming around finally. Here are a few tips that helped me:
* Place your thumb firmly behind your grip on the big flat. This will support the shot firmly as the palm of the hand does for the FH.
* You will notice yourself cheating on this when the thumb starts slipping to its side rather than firmly flat against the racket--but you will know what the problem is then. You must have the courage and thoughtfulness to execute this--easier said then done! If you don't firmly place the thumb, it will slice and take the power out of the stroke.
* Holding the grip as far down into the palm will facilitate the grip change.
* Putting the palm of the off hand under the butt of the racket will help to de-weight the racket also.
* Now hit a million practice balls.
I have no grip issues. I have however mastered the art if sloppy footwork and late shoulder turn.