View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #20
boramiNYC
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus_smith View Post
I've always used the eastern on faster hardcourts. One thing people don't mention is that, if you want on certain shots, you can make the full eastern grip act like a semi-western grip by keeping the racquet face a bit closed and brushing up at contact. That way you can get the benefit of both types of grips. The drawback is that it takes a strong grip and a strong wrist to do that trick. I like the eastern for serve return and for hitting low flat shots. Most new young players are taught the SW nowadays, I think.
That's a very good point. Eastern allows more versatility but to reach near mastery on it is harder than to reach near mastery on SW. But, it's possible to hit just like SW with E with the wrist manipulation. If one hits only SW type shot with E there is no point playing E since SW is more efficient in that particular shot. OP, if you click with your friend's teaching it's well worth trying E. With a really good instruction, E can be very powerful for some people. I improved a lot while trying different styles, grips, and swings. One tends to settle into one style but if you haven't tried E, I'd say go for it.
boramiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote