View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #29
TimothyO
Hall Of Fame

OP,

A good and thoughtful post to start the thread. Well done!

I'm guilty of damning Babolat in total but really should note that the (less popular) Pure Storm line is control oriented and mostly army friendly, especially the PSLGT.

The problem with their other lines imo is that many (not all) frames are very light, stiff, with large heads for huge power and a light swing feel.

For most rec players there are usually one of two results: elbow pain from poor form due to an inability to control that immense power except by arming the ball tentively...or elbow pain from an attempt to tame that power with full poly that, these being rec players, often remains in the frame long after it's dead and an even greater threat to arm health (they're not pros after all restringing after every match).

They seem designed for professionals with the skill to tame the power with great technique (especially great timing for topapin) and/or constant restringing with fresh, full poly. And yet every weekend I see members at our club banging away with their APDs and Pure Drives, usually with a brace in their wrist or elbow. A couple of weeks ago my son met another 12-year old mini-Nadal swinging an APD with full poly who grasped his arm in pain on several occassions.

Finally, like Wilson, Babolat QC is terrible. Trying to find two frames that play nearly the same is very difficult.

I enjoyed the Pure Storm products but the rest of the lines leave me cold (and in pain when I've tried them!)