View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
dman72
Hall Of Fame

Stretching afterwards is the key. I'm 40 also.

I'm starting to think that hard court tennis is worse on the body than I initially thought. I switched from basketball to tennis as my regular sport about 6 or 7 years ago. I always hit around during summers but I started full time at that point.

I basically stopped with the hoops due to rolled ankles, jammed thumbs, and the fear of getting teeth knocked out by elbow throwing butchers.

Over the last year or 2 I've had hip issues, a brief achilles issue, and more recently some elbow problems. If I don't stretch and/or take ibuprofen after a match, I'm walking like an 80 year old the next morning until blood starts flowing.

I haven't played a heavy afternoon of half court basketball in years. This weekend I played hoops pretty intensely for about 2 and a half hours.

The next day I really felt much better than I do after a tennis match, especially in the hips. There is a lot of unnatural torque on the body in tennis strokes, especially on gritty hard courts where your feet get locked to the ground, and also with modern windshield wiper forehands.