View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Limpinhitter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
I'll see if I can find some quote on pressure serves for Gonzalez. I think perhaps both Segura and Kramer did mention some words to that effect. Maybe Vic Braden.
This isn't directly relevant, but, Vic Braden wrote about Gonzales' serve as being so dominant that the pro tour expermented with allowing only 1 serve per point. The thinking was that taking away Gozales' first serve would take away his advantage. Rather, having only 1 serve increased Gonzales' advantage over the rest of the field.

Tony Trabert has also commented to the effect that he thought his ground game was better than Gonzales', but that, Gonzales' serve was so much better, his ground game didn't make enough of a difference. IMO, Trabert did have a more powerful ground game, but, not necessarily a better ground game. Gonzales was a touch player like McEnroe (but with much prettier strokes) who was a quicker, better athlete overall than Trabert, who used his ground game very effectively to keep his opponent off balance and frustrate attacking net rushers.
Limpinhitter is offline   Reply With Quote