View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
NTRPolice
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToPlaySets View Post
Anything under 4.0 and FH slice can be a huge tool of your game. When the ball is out of the strike zone, I now use FH slice as a defensive probability shot. So do most pros. Anything is better than blasting the ball into the net or back fence. Play the odds. Reduce unforced errors.

And, like you, I can hit FH slice with razor sharp accuracy, and it can even be offensive. (like placing a passing net shot) I've been doing slices since age 6, and it's like a 6th sense.

It's also a killer return of serve shot. (Think of how you effortlessly slice killer "winners" back when the serve is called out)

Trying to hit topspin winner when the ball is at my eyes? That's for 3.0 suckers. Read this:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438284
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440190
Over-hitting is bad on any shot and it doesnt only happen on forehands. It just has a tendency to happen more on forehands with people trying to emulate Monfils 90 mph action. People can definitely over-**** slices... I take "assertive" swings on my slices and you need that to send the ball back with a good amount of spin. All the people that ive seen who hit forehand slices as "weapons" tend to over-hit them just like how normal players over-hit their topspin forehands.

Sure, you can say "look at how easy it is to hit winners off serves" but I bet you're not looking at the whole statistic.

What about the fabulous slices that:

Were not killed, but would have been if the ball was live?
Balls that hit the doubles alley in singles?
Balls that hit below the bottom half of the net?
Balls that have no pace on them at all?
The questionable repeatability of these shots?

The logic of "see how good slices are because they're controlled swings" is a bit faulty. If you take a good player with a topspin forehand they definitely dont need to take full swings on everything and have some form of "ease of repetition".

90% of the shots you hit with a forehand slice can be hit with topspin for a much better effect.

If you're chopping winners all over the place, the mobility of your opponent is in question, not the quality of your strokes, IMO.