Thread: Clay Court GOAT
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #988
kiki
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizo View Post
Yes and given Lendl's proficiency on carpet, hard courts and even grass, it wasn't as if he was padding out his record on clay by entering every small clay court tournament under the sun when he had bigger fish to fry on other surfaces.

He was also a multiple champion at each of the 4 most prestigious clay court titles away from RG; Rome, Monte-Carlo, Hamburg and Barcelona. Plus he had winning clay court h2hs against Wilander (6-4) and Vilas (7-5), and beat Muster and Bruguera on clay in 1992.

From 1984-1987 his record at RG was W, F, W, W which shows how dominant he was there.
In fact, back in 1980 when Lendl reached the top 4, other than winning the DC and making the Masters finals and WCT semis, all on carpet, almost 90% of Lendl´s best results were achieved on clay.Won Houston and Barcelona, reached semis at Rome and Hamburg.he also excelled on hard courts, particularly beating Borg twice, but his most consistent results were on clay.

In 2 years, however, he would be much more feared on carpet or hard courts, since he played less and less cc tournaments.