View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
krosero
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
From Pancho Segura's Championship Strategy-How to play winning Tennis

"The best serve I have ever seen in tennis from the viewpoint of perfect rhythm, effortless motion, and effectiveness was that of Pancho Gonzalez. The toss was as smooth as silk, the knee motin classical, the **** of the arm impeccable, the arc made by arm and racket totally fluid--and the ball came off the racket like a bullet. In his best playing years, one could predict that, if Gonzalez was down 0-40 on serve, the first serve would always go in. It always did."

From Jack Kramer's book The Game--FIRST SERVE-Vines had the finest serve I ever saw, but Gonzales, the great competitor, was more consistent with his in the tightest spots. Tilden, too, must be ranked for speed and deception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
From the Fireside Book of Tennis-From an article by Julius Heldman called The Style of Pancho Gonzales--The strongest part of Gonzales' serve is his ability to put the first ball into play when the chips are down. At 0-40, 15-40 and 30-40, his battling average on first serves must be .950. It is incredible to have so high a percentage while still hitting hard and almost flat. The number of aces served on these important points is also astounding.
Thank you PC1. That quote from Fireside looks very familiar and it may be the one I read. Do you know when that was written?

Kramer's comparison between Vines and Gonzalez is interesting, although I don't know how much it's worth since Kramer was still only 18 when Vines retired.
krosero is offline   Reply With Quote