View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Carsomyr
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpinhitter View Post
Agassi's ground stroke shotmaking was top 2-3 all time, IMO. He had the greatest backhand in tennis history and one of the best forehands. But, he didn't have the mobility to put that shotmaking to its best use. Agassi explains that he had a congenital lumbar spine defect that affected his mobility as he got older, which can clearly be seen. It seems to me that Agassi was hitting the ball better than ever in the late 90's, early 2000's, but, his mobility decline offset that. He compensated well by standing in close and cutting off angles. But, against players like Sampras and Federer, Agassi's lack of world class mobility was exposed.

1. Laver
2. Federer
3. Sampras
4. Borg
5. Gonzales
6. Nadal
7. Lendl
8. McEnroe
9. Connors
10. Agassi

PS: I would also say that Agassi's peak level of play might have been higher than Lendl, McEnroe or Connors. But, it was too sporatic, and not sufficiently sustained, to give him full credit for that. Compare Borg, whose career was short, but, it was virtually all peak with a ridiculous winning percentage, especially at the majors with 11 titles out of 27 attempts.
I'd hardly take offensive to a Lavertard listing Federer as second, but you don't have Rosewall in the top ten?

In any case, my list is hardly fixed, but my top ten (with Agassi outside) shapes like this:

1. Federer
2. Laver
3. Sampras
4. Gonzales
5. Borg
6. Nadal
7. Rosewall
8. Lendl
9. Connors
10. McEnroe
11. Agassi

Last edited by Carsomyr : 10-04-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Carsomyr is offline   Reply With Quote