View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #250
tennis_pro
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalAgassi View Post
You seem to be comparing only their shots. Most of the power from shots comes from technique, not strength. Just look at Justine Henin who probably would bench press the 250th most on the WTA tour yet was one of the hardest hitters at her peak. One just looks at Sampras and Federer and it would be a miracle if Federer was somehow physically stronger.
What more data can I use? Federer hits his groundstrokes harder and consistently harder while Sampras would loop the backhand 3-4 times before going for a killer shot, serves just as fast (Sampras rarely hit his serve over 125 mph). I agree he has less sting on the volleys but that's expected as Sampras visited the net a lot more often than Federer did/does. You can't just say "one looks at them and thinks it would be a miracle if Federer was somehow physically stronger", it's just impossible to predict how they would fare in competition. Just because Fed doesn't have Schwarzenegger' stature it doesn't mean he's not stronger than Sampras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalAgassi View Post
Anyway as far as power goes I thought both at their best Sampras was considered the more explosive player overall. You talk about Federer having better groundstrokes, but that is based on alot of factors- angles, deception, variety, placement, directional control, consistency. Sampras's drive forehands were every bit as explosive, maybe even a bit more, even with Federer's being better overall. Sampras's serve was much more heavy and penetrating than Federer's no contest in that regard. His volleys and overheads also had more bite on them.
Once again, how do you rate explosiveness? Just because Sampras didn't grind his match as much as Federer does at times and went for a killer shot earlier it doesn't mean that he's more explosive. Is Del Potro more explosive than Federer as well?

Last edited by tennis_pro : 10-04-2012 at 11:47 AM.
tennis_pro is offline   Reply With Quote