View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudFox View Post
Newer player trying to climb the ladder.

I've found that I can easily handle the slower pace of 3.0's and some 3.5's, but when I am matched up against a harder hitter I get tossed. My thought is I need to adjust my timing to the higher speed. I have a long swing motion, but am used to the ball taking longer to arrive and my timing is off resulting in an abbreviated swing motion (I can imagine this is ugly to watch - and I know for a fact the ball is ugly to watch). I'm inclined to believe it's a problem with my anticipation and preparation. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, what were the keys to overcoming it?
Also, any tips for training? Ball machine? Is the wall effective for something like this? I ask because if the responses are going to be "work at it" I'd rather have a method of working at it that doesn't involve me getting stomped for a few months straight. Not that I have a huge problem with losing, but I am trying to put in the extra work outside of matches.

Any responses/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Great post!
The other guys must have just read it too quick, as you stated it well.
It's tough to answer without coaching.
Ball machine set pretty face can help greatly and can be tough due to no wind
up cues like with an opponent or coach. That challenge is good for your
situation though.
I also think working on a more compact swing can help.
Seems the main issue is timing and stalking with 2 hands on the racket can
help with this. The 2 hand prep to take back gets the shoulders turned early and
the off hand can even help to start the look more compact.
See what you think.
As a coach I would slowly raise the pace and work with you to adjust your
efforts.