View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #31
BTURNER
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpinhitter View Post
I don't know what you mean by "her craft." Mandlikova didn't have the technique, or the shot tolerance, to "hang" with Evert from the baseline. To beat Evert, she had to attack. And then, she could prevail only when playing her absolute best and when Evert was something less than her best.
Absolutely true. Honestly, I can't think of two champions more polar opposite in virtually every respect. The only sense in which Hana could 'hang with Evert from the backcourt in a normal match, is in her movement about the court. It was very difficult for anyone to keep Hana out of position long enough to open up a court. Some of Evert's usual patterns , would be less effective against the super mobile players like Zina, Hana, or Martina than players like Sukova, Shriver and Kodhe Kilch. When I tried to figure out who got the occasional upset over Evert in her major winning years, it wasn't about playing style, or temperament. It was footspeed. Not sure exactly why, but less quick baseliners and S/Vers did not get one or two wins others might - until she got social security.

of course the other necessity to win any percentage vs Chris is weapons. Hana had those on both wings.

Last edited by BTURNER : 10-04-2012 at 05:10 PM.
BTURNER is offline   Reply With Quote