View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #294
TheFifthSet
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberttennis54 View Post
Disagree with that. Federer is better from the baseline than Agassi on every surface. Federer is faster, has more power, better passing shots, better forehand and a better slice. Agassi has a better and more steady backhand.
I think it seems that way because Federer is a much better all-around player. But if we judge "who was better at the baseline" by "who would win more points only from the baseline", then I think it has to go to Agassi IMO. His steadiness, lack of errors and punishing groundstrokes were amazing. Federer has more variety but if it was entirely a baseline war -- no drop shots allowed, no coming to the net, and their serves were equal (Federers serve is hugely superior, of course) -- Agassi would have the advantage I would say.

Federer is undeniably the better "baseliner" (in that he is primarily a baseliner just like Agassi, and is a better player) but "at the baseline" I think it's Andre. But to each their own. Two of my favourites of all time...I just wish prime Fed and prime Agassi would have squared off. Fed would have the advantage but I think they would have had some amazing matches. Their 2004 US Open match was sublime for the first three sets, but unfortunately the wind derailed it and the last 2 weren't quite as good.

PS I gotta disagree with the passing shots one a lot, to me Agassi was far more consistent on the pass.

Last edited by TheFifthSet : 10-05-2012 at 01:27 PM.
TheFifthSet is offline   Reply With Quote