View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #85
dangalak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFifthSet View Post
Three of those matches were incredibly close. How is that "making him look silly"?
The way he made Federer look in some points, it's almost like he was Roddick, in a sense that he didn't know what was going to happen next. How Federer typically beats his opponents, he did it to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFifthSet View Post
Of course physique is a factor. It's a factor in virtually everything. You don't see 145 pounders with heavy forehands, or 5'7 guys serving 140. But Nalbandian wasn't a piece of bologne. He was 5'11 and pretty strong. He didn't have much pace, but he also wasn't a very crafty serve. His slice and kick serves weren't exactly weapons. Rod Laver wasn't the biggest guy but he had a great serve. There are plenty of examples of small guys who weren't big but could compensate for it. Tipsarevic has some pop on his serve. Benjamin Becker is 5'11 yet he was a big server.

Also, bulletproof technique, huh?? Isn't that what makes any great stroke? The serve is the most important stroke in tennis along with the forehand. There's no way it doesn't take talent to be a great server.

Federers footwork is unparalled. Gael Monfils, James Blake etc are more "freakish" athletes yet their footwork isn't even close to being as good.

But even disregarding that, if "talent" is something that you are born with, then how does movement/balance/coordination/footwork not fall into that category? It seems as if your criteria for talent is made entirely to support your argument.
1. Eh, I'd say it's because of the repetition. It isn't something like point construction or anticipation that can hardly be trained (at least compared to the serve) Seems like the serve is more like a shot where you need to get the mechanics right.

It's a little different with groundstrokes and volleys, since your talent can win your points there. I struggle to see how talent could buy you a great serve. Seems more about practice than gift to me. (and in case you say that no amount of hard work would give Nalby the serve of Federer, that is true, but in this case that is impossible. Guy is already a pro. Federer OTOH nailed his technique before it was too late. It's more of a technical problem.

2. I dunno, does that mean that guys like Blake and Monfils are also talented? I always thought that being able to run fast and hit hard were more physical abilities and talent is innate SKILL.
dangalak is offline   Reply With Quote