View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #37
NadalAgassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by suwanee4712 View Post
I would say that few actually worked harder than Hana did. But ASV might be in that group. She got so much out of her game and had a great heart and fighting spirit.
You are much more familiar with WTA 80s tennis than I am, so in all honesty I really dont have that much insight into Hana's work ethic. My statement was probably unfair and just falling into general stereotypes of the players. Obviously ASV was more of a warrior on court, but she had to be with her game style, Hana could be a great competitor too when she wanted to be.

Quote:
ASV also had fewer first week losses than Hana did at the slams. But Hana never lost to anyone other than Martina or Chris in a slam SF or F. That makes me think that Hana would've done quite well against ASV, but thats purely speculation.
Yeah you are right since most times they met it would have likely been in the semis or finals, as both are top 4 players in their primes in pretty much any era. Then again the players she would play at that stage of a slam besides Martina and Chris were not that strong in her era (other than Austin who she only played in quarterfinals). It would depend mostly on how Hana was playing, since ASV would be all over any inconsistency or lapses in her game, but if she reaches that stage the odds are higher she is playing well which would be bad news for ASV. I really dont see any leads on that matchup as I cant think of an ASV-type player of the Chris era, other than knowing ASV generally does not control her own destiny vs a superior shotmaker or better offensive player, even the ones she greatly troubled like Graf.

Quote:
I wish that Hana's health and serve had held up for another couple of years because I think she would've gotten a few more wins vs. Graf. More than half of their meetings came at a time when Hana was serving Kournikova-like numbers of double faults. No one made an opponent pay for poor serving more than Graf did. It was hard to break Steffi and if you can't hold your own serve you have no shot. From the baseline, Hana's way of trying to beat Steffi was to hit hard and deep to her forehand to draw an error or come in and angle the ball away. This worked well in Paris in 1986. More players should've tried that.
Interesting points on the French Open match. It was often said players should have tried to attack the Graf forehand that way rather than playing away from it and allowing her to set up her inside out forehand patterns with you trying to expose her backhand corner. It must have been a scary thing to do.

Quote:
With Seles, I find their 1990 US Hardcourts match very interesting. Hana led 4-0 in each set but lost 6-4 6-4. She also helped Novotna to understand how to beat Seles by serving her wide in both courts to make her switch to one hand or at least pull her off the court. I really believe Hana could've gotten a couple of wins off of Seles. Of course I say that knowing that if Hana played less than 80% of her best Seles would've obliterated her ala 1989 Brighton.
I know Hana was well past her prime at the time of those matches facing a young Seles which is why I didnt reach too much into them. I really have no idea what kind of a matchup that would be for Hana as there is nobody in Hana's era that played like Seles, and even Graf does not play the same way Seles does overall. Your points are interesting though, I did not see that 1990 U.S Hard Courts match or know Hana was up in the 2nd set. I did see the Brighton match, and it was a major ouch. Seles just ruthlessly overpowering, and Hana was getting killed on her serve games, but she wasnt serving well either.

Last edited by NadalAgassi : 10-04-2012 at 08:32 PM.