View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #68
0d1n
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridatennisdude View Post
I agree. I'm a 4.5 and I don't know if I'd take more than a game or two off a female ranked in the top 1000. Lee's example sounds like something from the 80's, before fitness and technology took the game to another level.

We are having a Women's 10k in town right now. 90% of these girls would plow through any 4.5 men's player I know. Pros are 6.0-7.0 players if they are competitive on tour. Saying a 4.5 can hang with a 6.0+ is assenine. It's like saying a 3.0 can hang with a 4.5.
You are right. Going even further...the difference between a 3.0 and a 4.5 can be overcome in most cases by a few years of serious proper training...even for regular, ordinary people.
The difference between a 4.5 and a 6.0 +, although it seems similar on the NTRP scale, might take only training in some cases...but in most cases it can't be overcome, because many average Joe's could never get to 6.0 + regardless of the amount of training. At that level the luck you've had with genetics is much more important that it is at 4.5.
An overweight guy with somewhat lacking athletic ability can hang in 4.5 if he has tennis skills...but that same guy could never overcome his physical limitations when talking about 6.0 + levels. Never...not a chance...no matter how skilled in tennis technique he gets.
Movement is so important at that level that perfect technique alone doesn't cut it anymore...you need to have been born with no significant athletic limitations, and to have picked up a racquet at a certain age...otherwise...you've missed the boat.
A guy can pick up a racquet at 30 yo and comfortably get to 4.5 if he puts in the time and effort. The same guy will never get to 6.0 regardless of the time he puts in if he starts at 30.