View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #36
Limpinhitter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Face View Post
I have good consistency as long as I don't try to paint the sidelines. However my moonballing opponent has good movement and stamina, and I do get a little frustrated facing one moonball after another. This is when consistency goes out of the window and I try to hit impossible shots (such as wide shots and drop shots that are either too short or too long). Error after error, and the set is gone.
You lack what is called "shot tolerance." When a rally continues too long, your anxiety rises and you get impatient because you don't have confidence in your ability to just keep the ball in play. So, you end your anxiety by ending the point, for better or for worse. Sometimes just knowing this phenomenon is enough to cure the problem. You won't turn in to a pumpkin just because you have to hit your 5th or 6th shot in a rally. Be patient, moonball with him, and wait for a short ball to attack.

Having said that, if you really want to be able to be a human ball machine, and it is an invaluable skill to have if you want to win tennis matches, there's nothing better than doing cross court drills with a like minded drilling partner. When you can hit 10, 15, 20 cross court groundies in a row (each), deep to your opponents corner in practice drills, hitting 5-6 in a match is easy, and you will usually draw an UE or weak reply to attack well within that shot count. When your cross court groundies are really grooved in, it's a piece of cake to set up for a moonball and drive it with good pace and spin cross court to the opponent's corner, and continue to do that until he hits a weak reply you can attack, an UE, or he is so far out of position that a standard cross court groundie becomes an outright winner. You don't have to kill the ball, just execute good quality cross court groundies.

Last edited by Limpinhitter : 10-05-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Limpinhitter is offline   Reply With Quote