View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #57
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzamilan90 View Post
I see Hoad with 4 majors and 1 Tournament of champions and a whole lot of losses in important finals. Overrated to me when compared to the players with the truly ridiculous resumes.Hoad=Djokovic level as far as I am concerned and that's assuming Djokovic doesn't keep on winning (similar amount of majors, similar very dominant year, "very high potential level of play" that certainly is a similarity)
Remember Hoad played in the Old Pro tour where the level of play on average was far higher. Emerson played the amateur tour. It's like a good heavyweight playing in the light weight division. He may win there but if he moved back to the heavyweights it would be different.

Playing Fred Stolle, Darmon and Ken Fletcher in the finals of majors is a lot different from playing Ken Rosewall, Rod Laver, Pancho Gonzalez, Hoad and Gimeno in the finals. Emerson won five majors against Stolle in the finals.

From 1963 to 1967 Emerson won 10 of 20 majors played. From 1968 on Emerson did not win another major. The first Open Major had Rosewall defeating Laver in four sets in 1968. Emerson lost to a Pancho Gonzalez who would be 40 that year in five sets. Gonzalez of course was one of the pros Emerson didn't have to face in the majors.

Last edited by pc1 : 10-05-2012 at 01:08 PM.
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote