View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
dangalak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalAgassi View Post
It depends what you value I guess. However when you look at them vs past greats Venus clearly stacks up better. Despite having less overall achievements and 2 fewer slams one could even suggest Venus is better than Seles considering her 9-1 record vs Seles, destroying her and far outclassing her in match after match, which even considering this was Seles past her prime still leads one to wonder how even a prime Seles would manage vs Venus. Meanwhile Seles is 4-3 lifetime vs Henin. All those matches in the early 2000s when Henin was much closer to her prime than Seles, and still she has a losing record. So one could never imagine comparing Henin to someone like Seles, and as Seles is near the bottom of the top 10, that means Henin clearly couldnt be in it. Venus meanwhile could be argued to be as good just based on sheer ability as some of the bottom of the top 10- King, Seles, Connolly, while not being as far behind in achievements as she is compared to Graf, Court, Navratilova, Serena to be completely discounted. In short some would argue Venus as a top 10 player, and nobody would argue Henin as one, which already leads to strong likelihood Venus will end up higher.

Now comparing Venus to Henin directly it depends what you value.

Peak level of play- Venus

Dominance at peak- Henin's 2007 was more dominant than any year Venus had, but Venus had two years she was considered dominant player (2000 and 2001) vs only 1 for Henin. Even

Consistency- Henin probably.

Longevity- Venus by alot.

Versatility- Henin by a bit.

Both have 7 slams and 43 singles titles. However Venus has an amazing doubles career on top of that while Henin has no doubles career of any sort.

Venus has won the Worlds most prestigious tournament 5 times. Henin 0 times.

Their H2H is 7-2 Venus, another huge plus for Venus.

Lastly who will be more remembered 10 years from now. Who did more to impact the game and raise the level of the womens game. That is a no brainer.
1. Bro, you know that Venus was at her absolute peak, while Henin wasn't even in her prime. This is also the reason why I cannot look at the H2H or the fact that Venus crushed Seles while Henin has a losing record. I mean, put Henin from 2006-2007 against early 2000s Seles, and she beats her just as well.

2. I'm not sure if we can use the "most pretigious tournament" thing anymore. First of all, we all know Venus won more Wimbledon's since her best surface is grass, not really because she is a better player.

This isn't like the 80s, where players routinely skipped certain majors because they couldn't be bothered. These days, the ultimate goal is to win a slam, period. You will not see players skipping majors without an actual injury. (I guess that post Henin's retirement, FO could be called "the least prestigous major" )

About women's tennis and 10 years later: you won't believe how many tennis fans I have seen that claim they stopped caring for women's tennis after Henin retired.

And if you are going to mention subjective and soft factors such as this, might as well mention the significance of Henin reaching the physical level that she did while being so small. Of course there is a big chance that she didn't do it without assistance (and I say this as a fan, more or less) but even so, being able to be a threat and defeat even a post peak Serena Williams while being so physically inferior has to be mentioned as well.

Venus being remembered more has probably more to do with he blood ties to Serena, her race, he superior looks, her nationality and her personality. Don't think that should be considered.

And I completely forgot the doubles. By that logic, she is CLEARLY superior to Henin. But in singles, Venus vast inferiority in weeks at the top (which mattered back then) and clear lack of success in some of the slams put her behind Henin.

But that is a moot point, your original list is right.

Last edited by dangalak : 10-05-2012 at 07:40 PM.
dangalak is offline   Reply With Quote