View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #27
dangalak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMR View Post
I said, if slice is equally important as topspin, then Federer's backhand is better than Djokovic's. The difference between Djokovic's topspin backhand and Federer's, while vast, is not as big as the difference between Federer's slice and Djokovic's.
The slice isn't equally important as topspin.

Quote:
Nobody believes that? There are probably a dozen threads on those two issues in the last month alone. It is almost a consensus among TW's Federer fans that Federer is a better mover (or was during his prime) than Nadal and has a better return. I think the first point of those is laughable and the second point at least debatable.
Federer is in no way as good as a mover as any of the top 4 currently. Federer being a better mover than Nadal in his prime is not utterly ridiculous and a possibility if you out more value in footwork. (remember Madrid? )
However, the reality is that they are fairly close and that Nadal is possibly the greatest mover ever.

Quote:
Complete contradiction there. If Federer's forehand is the greatest of all time and Nadal's backhand, two-handed or not, is garbage, then Federer can pound it all day long and crush the inevitable short balls. The fact that Federer can't hit high bouncing topspin shots to his backhand completely undermines your viewpoint, especially in the same paragraph you are saying Nadal's two-hander can essentially handle any shot, including the best groundstroke in game history in Federer's forehand.
I don't think so. Federer's backhand is brilliant against somebody like Djokovic and is a great shot against the vast majority of players.

I know that the likes of you frown at the word "match-up" but nothing else explains Nadal's ability to beat Federer more often than not over a time frame where he would typically get spanked by people in slams, that have a combined H2H record against Federer of 11-75 or something.

One handed backhands typically can't deal with that shot. There are not many players capable of doing what Nadal does, so I'm going to strike that out as an exception.

Nadal's serve is also more effective against Federer than Roddick's. Does that mean his serve is better?

Quote:
So even his slice doesn't work against Nadal either? Damn, what a great backhand. Yet Nadal's terrible backhand can take all of that punishment from Federer.
Slices generally don't work well on forehands. That is an issue of Nadal's lefty status and his movement.

Quote:
Ah clay, the great neutralizer. But then, Nadal has a winning record against Federer on hard court as well.
No he doesn't. Pretty sure Federer leads 6-5.
dangalak is offline   Reply With Quote