View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
SystemicAnomaly
Legend

^ Just to be clear... Pregnenolone and DHEA are steroid hormones and do not fall under the classification of anabolic-androgen steroids (AAS), better known as anabolic steroids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
I think SA has an important point; that testosterone goes down with age probably is beneficial to longevity. A friend of mine went on androgel in his 50s after a divorce (yeeehahhhh!) and a few years later was diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer. He now his lesions in bones and is expected not to live long. Androgens promote the growth and spread of prostate cancers, which ordinarily tend to spread or grow quite slowly in men over 50.
While it is not really known if using supplements to increase Preg, DHEA and Testostorone to 25-30 yo levels is wise, allowing testosterone (and possibly other hormones) to drop to very low levels does not seems wise either.

As the OP has pointed out, low T levels are associated with dementia, osteoporosis, depression, fatigue and other maladies. This is something that my father is dealing with right now. Once of his doctors decided to inhibit his T levels in order to keep his PSA levels in check. In the past year, it has become apparent that the cure/treatment is worse than the (prostate) problem. He is now showing very significant signs of dementia, clouded cognition, osteo, depression, and severe fatigue.

Perhaps it would be better to allow higher T levels but inhibit the conversion of T to DHT. Some possible ways to inhibit DHT is saw palmetto, Brazil nuts (selenium), and lycopene (cooked tomatoes, ketchup, etc). May also be helpful: nettle root, beta sitosterol, pumpkin seed and minoxidil or finasteride.

Last edited by SystemicAnomaly : 10-07-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: conflicting info on quercetin
SystemicAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote