View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #28
abmk
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Malloy View Post

We all know how famous Becker was for hitting big serves down break point, coming back from 0-40 etc. Well, krosero & I have tracked many of his matches & turns out he was fairly average at making first serves down break point. I followed his entire career & would have bet good money that he would have a high number of 1st serves made down break points, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Many posters here(& commentators) repeat that about Becker frequently & probably always will. So something that isn't really true is widely accepted as fact, because of our "impressions" of watching matches, with no actual stats.
agreed ... From the becker matches I've watched, I never got the impression that he had a high % of first serves in when in trouble ...gets quite a bit over-rated in that aspect IMO ...

Quote:
Well, just because he wasn't 'mentioned' doesn't mean jack to me. The more matches I track of his the more I realize how clutch he was. The serves he put in down break points in the '81 W final were ridiculous(not aces which leave more of an 'impression' on viewers, but virtual unreturnables. some of the most impressive serving I've seen in a Wimbledon final, esp considering the circumstances)
I see you frequently argue in GOAT debates that former players aren't historians and we should take their opinions with a grain of salt. I sort of feel the same thing here. They aren't statisticians, so their opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.
I know you'll probably never do it, but taking stats can really make you see things about players you would never notice otherwise. Stats don't tell everything, but certainly do add to the experience.
true, mac is quite under-rated in this aspect ...

Quote:
I have more stats on this from some Federer matches. I think he's pretty good at making 1st serves down break point.
true, he's right up there in the top echelon in that aspect ...
abmk is offline   Reply With Quote