View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #23
KenC
Professional

Just to be perfectly clear, the point of the topic is not "Is topspin relevant?" I think we all know the answer to that. The more the merrier. But is there a certain point where additional topspin really doesn't do any good and comes at the expense of better options, like pace?

The point is, there are many players out there who have decided to base their entire game on topspin, and use topspin as their weapon of choice. Did they make a mistake? Has the focus on producing killer topspin prevented them from fully developing a better weapon or weapons?

I think we all know where this current fascination with killer topspin originates. Indeed, Nadal had great success with killer topspin, especially on clay. Evidently there are many players who are trying to replicate his technique and strategy but not having overwhelming success with it. In fact, I see it having better success at the lower intermediate levels than I do at the upper intermediate levels. At the 5.0+ equivalent levels here it seems that the majority of players who face a killer topspin baseliner have already seen it enough to deal with it effectively.