View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #669
BigServer1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Player View Post
I really love tech and devices. I dont understand why things get personal either.

I guess for me what I dont get is how some people here are this harsh on the new i5. My viewpoint is simplicity and speed is the ultimate test of a new phone and I am amazed at how many times some of us posted benchmarks and tests backing up our views and no one even addressed them. They just ignored them and then posted another troll post. It is sad.

Agree on the lumia..I am really interested in seeing what happens with the windows phone. I guess my main issues is that for me, I like small and slim phones. I am seeing tons of advantages already with the i5 as it is a lot easier for me to do the day to day tasks of replying to a text with one hand while out in a busy place.

I think the i5 is the most detailed and rich screen out right now, even though it is not 720 (links posted backing me up). Once again specs mean nothing in cellular tech. That is what people have to understand when they buy a cell. That may be the biggest takeaway from this whole thread.

The lumia could take the crown as the best screen. We will have to see how it tests out.

Curious who will buy the Phablets. Too big for me, and I dont like using a stylus. With the ipad mini coming out, it is interesting to see where tablets are going.
Fwiw, I agree with everything you've said. The specs and tests and neutral feedback (anandtech) about the iP5 definitely makes it seem like a great choice for anyone who cares about speed and efficiency. It's a great device, but probably too small for some, and maybe too limited for others. I have to assume that (if they can afford it), it's got to be a top option for 75% of smartphone buyers. For every tech/spec nerd out there, there are 20 people who don't care about specs or benchmarks, they just care about how well it works for them. iPhones kill in that department.

The screen resolution is a funny one to me. HDTV is 1080i/720p. That means if you're watching MNF on your 40" TV, you're doing it in 720p. Why anyone would truly care about watching true HD vids on a 4-5" screen is beyond me. PPI and color accuracy/clarity are much more important to me personally than whether or not a tiny screen (by comparison) matches the output of my TV. That's the reason I don't love AMOLED screens...The blacks are awesome but the colors are over saturated for my taste (personally).

I would have waited and bought the Lumia if it wasn't for the App store. ESPN Scorecenter, Mint, Yelp and a bunch of other go to apps aren't available on that platform, and after my frustration with Android in 2009 and 2010 (when there were like 8 good apps for 1.6 and 2.0), I wasn't willing to go back down that road with WP8. That and the fact that the 920 will be an AT&T Exclusive, at least for now...I wanted to move to Verizon.

What I love about the Lumia is the HD+ LCD screen with ridiculous PPI, and that they made the screen have a 60Hz refresh rate, to all but eliminate motion blur. With as smooth and fast as the WP OS is, a screen that clear would be amazing. I also love the live tile element of the OS, especially now that you can customize them to three different sizes, and they move, shift and show information to you without any action needed. It's an exciting option for someone looking to marry the smoothness of iOS with the customizing options and widgets from Android.

If it gets app development and a Lumia flagship happens on Verizon in 2014, that could easily be my next phone. Or the iPhone 6 might be incredible, or whatever Android OS is out at that time might be unbelievably good...All I know is that it's a fun time to be a smart phone nerd.
BigServer1 is offline   Reply With Quote