View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #346
Cheetah
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5263 View Post
Sure, you are right that it's used, but imo it's just more secondary knowing that
it will happen on certain shots rather to to try to work the shot for side spin.
Absolutely looking to get more vertical top for high bouncers, but that adjusting
out the sidespin that is normal with the harder hit Fhs. Only time I can see a pro player
trying to work the side top in more the primary intention is trying to hook one
back into court a bit on a dtl type situation. Trying to use side spin to slide it more away
from the opponent imo is more of a rec player intention, as a pro
will depend more on his control and pace to do this, likely just accounting for
that spin that happen naturally for the type shot he chooses, as he knows
what that stroke will give. The I/O Fh is a great example of this and it naturally spins
out away from the court, so you don't have to try to, but more account for how
it will be happening...if anything, limit a bit so it doesn't slide wide on you.
Sidespin is a lot less obvious on t.v.
When I was at the Indian Wells semi's and finals this year I saw Djoko/Fed/Nadal/Isner all using a lot of sidespin and if you recall I came back after those matches and posted here that I was surprised at how much sidespin they use and I wasn't referring only to the 'amount' of sidespin but also the appearance of intention. It wasn't just dtl or i/o as that is obvious. There were a lot of points especially on extended rallies where all of a sudden they would throw one in with sidespin and each time the crowd would go 'oooohhh' because they noticed it. Sometimes fed or djoko would have a whole rally where every fh had noticeable sidespin. Then other rallies w/ no sidespin. He would also have clockwise sidespin for a few shots and then changed it counterclockwise for the next few etc. It was quite noticeable which leads me to think it was intentional.