View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
Carsomyr
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodjem View Post
To certain people, if it does not laud Federer to the skies and even hints in the subtlest way that he is not the greatest, then it is by definition "poorly researched and badly written."
It is poorly written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Trengove
Some say Australiaís 74-year-old Rod Laver is still the best male player of all time. Others insist that recent performances of the 31-year-old Swiss Roger Federer have consolidated the role for himself. (Though not me, mind you Ė not the true believers!)
Yep, way to start off your piece under the blanket of objectivity and tolerance for others' views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSung View Post
If you actually think anything Trengrove (who is one of the best writers/journalists that tennis has had) writes is poorly researched and badly written then its a massive indictment on both you and your ability to discern quality writing from fanboy drooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Trengove
Whatever lies ahead for the Swiss maestro, Iíll remain a true believer.

Go, Rocket!
If this is quality writing and not fanboy drooling, I'm going to turn in my English degree. Perhaps it's not poorly researched, but it is, quite frankly, literary diarrhea.

It has nothing to do with Trengove's support of Laver. When TC's GOAT list came out, SI's Bruce Jenkins wrote a very good piece which highlighted some of the laughable selections of the list and why he thought Laver was the best ever, while avoiding didactic statements like "true believers."