View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
tennytive
Semi-Pro

Default Losing a step…

per decade… would that make any sense? How many years go by before you start to notice you're one step away from that ball you used to get to easily?

When I was 22 I could run down any ball with no problem. Now, over 40 years later, I see the ball and think I can get to it only to fall short. Sometimes by just a little, sometimes by a lot. Sometimes I just watch it go past as I have no chance to catch up to it anymore. Not every ball mind you, many players are surprised at how fast I am, but it's all relative… you know, "for your age".

I weigh almost the exact same as I did in high school, that's never been an issue. When I was 40 I had 7% body fat. Today my BMI is 20.7 for whatever that's worth. I have the typical tennis build, lean with pretty good muscle tone. I usually play 2 to 3 hours 3 to 4 times a week April to November.

I did however, break both bones in my lower right leg at 22. It took me a year to walk, and 2 to run, but eventually I was able to regain most of my quickness. My leg would ache a lot the next day after playing hard, but even that went away after another 10 years or so. Can still feel a lump in my leg where the calcium filled in the break between the bones, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

Is it a testosterone thing? Center of gravity? Is it my shoes?? Yeah, my shoes… that's gotta be it.

I guess it's all part of the natural order. The young guys make me look slow, but they're all track stars. The older guys think *I'm* a track star, but they're all statues.

Marv Levy is fond of saying "I used to be fast. Now I'm half fast." I think I'm beginning to resemble that remark. Who's with me?
tennytive is offline   Reply With Quote