View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #16
kaiser
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyO View Post
This past weekend I tried a radical experiment with one of my 200 Tours and liked the result so much applied it to both.

Last week I hit against a couple of guys who hit with high pace. The Tour certainly absorbs the punishment but a few times I felt late and got jammed.

So on Saturday I did something I've seen discussed on TT but hadn't tried. To reduce the SW of the Tour I trimmed the bumper guard of plastic beyond that which is under the string. I was shocked at how much weight it shaved: 4g static weight and about 12g SW according to the TWU customization calculator.

To put that in perspective, 4g of static weight is equal to a whopping 16" of 1/4" lead tape. Add that to any racquet and you're looking at a significant change in SW, power, and plow.

The new mod, "4D 200 Tour Lite", is still extremely stable but is also more maneuverable. I hit last night with it and it's like the love child of the 4D 200 and 4D 200 Tour that I and other TT members discussed in another thread: good plow, excellent stability, 95" head for good control, open pattern for easier spin. The lower power and lower SW also means more RHS for more spin. And the plow remains good enough that even on a 1HBH at full stretch, on the run, I still get the ball back over the net.
Hey Tim, that's a very interesting experiment! I've been pondering myself of late whether something a little quicker than my 4D200Ts would help my game. Was thinking of the BLXPS95, but I'm sure I'd have to add a bunch of lead to that to get it into my spec range. Modding my Tours would be a lot cheaper and would retain all the other qualities I like so much about this frame! How exactly did you trim the bumper guard, and do you think it will uphold to restringing after your mod?