View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
zagor
Talk Tennis Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonplum View Post
. . . which he will. A strange thing has happened to me during this absence of Nadal's as opposed to the one in 2009, when I was cursing the tennis gods that Federer got to back into that 15th slam. I'm actually enjoying watching Federer win, or try to win, as it were at the US Open. I like the way Federer plays. As I improve my own tennis game, I realize that although Nadal is my favorite player, I play much more like Federer in my own 4.0 way, of course. Federer is the most aggressive player on tour. When he sees an opening, he tries to end the point, usually on with one-two forehand punch.

If I'm honest with myself, it really hasn't been that fun to watch Nadal in a couple of years. He seems to have lost his killer instinct. I also find, as I get better at tennis, and play more and more with friends (still fiercely competitive matches), and USTA matches, that I rarely say "come on" or make any noise at all. I hit my forehand quite hard for a 4.0-4.5 but I don't grunt at all. And when I face some d-bag who is yelling "Vamos" at 30-15 in the second game of the match, it takes all the self-control I have to not scream "Vamos" mockingly back at him the next time he nets a ball.

Anyway, as Kilgore's adjutant said in Apocolypse Now, "this is Federer's beach", or maybe it was "this is Federer's court." The point is, the pros are inside now. Now wild and wooly weather, no wind, no sun, nothing but fast, low-bouncing Federer conditions.
You mean like he was gonna win USO as well, right?

Quote:
As a longtime, hardcore Nadal fan, there has always been something a wee bit annoying about watching Federer triumph when Nadal isn't there to stop him: the most annoying examples for me, personally, were USO '08, RG '09, Wimby '09. Those matches were over before they started. None of those three opponents had any belief that they could actually win those matches.

Moving on . . . I actually might enjoy Federer winning this USO, which he will, because he's got two legitimate players that could stop him. In the old days, pre-Nole 2.0 and a more mature Murray, once Nadal was out of the draw it was snooze time. This is different. Murray is primed for a slam and ready for a good fight to get it, as exhibited by his AO semi with Nole this year and the Wimby final (a match that turned on one or two games and about five points), and Nole, despite his embarrassing first set in Cincy, seems to be locked in (I didn't watch his first two matches but those scorelines indicate he's doing something right).

The older, more mature me realizes you can't begrudge Fed any of his Nadal-less victories. The man can only play who is there in front of him. Perhaps I'm feeling sanguine because I read Fed's quote earlier tonight about Roddick. Total class. Probably the only time I've been moved by something Federer said. Not that I have anything against things he's said, it's just that he uber-diplomatic, never-let-them-see-you-sweat-demeanor has always left he wanting more from him. Calling Roddick a "Wimbledon champion" was priceless, more so coming from him as the owner of 7 titles.
***** and their stupid jinxes.

Quote:
He will take Shanghai, Basel, Bercy and go undefeated in London. According to my calculations, that should do it. Make no mistake, Fed wants that YE #1 A LOT. When was the last time a year end #1 was up for grabs this late in the year? 2003?
Not gonna happen.
zagor is offline   Reply With Quote