View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #19
r2473
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feña14 View Post
Absolutely, it's all about chipping and putting. Tricky long par 4's where you have to go into the green with a wood, a 4 is a very good score, no matter what your handicap is really. If you're anywhere within 40 yards after 2, you should have a good chance of making that.

It doesn't really matter how close you get if you can't pitch it close or putt

If you have good course management and a good short game, you're pretty much there I always think.
For me, golf is all about minimizing the bad mistakes. If you can just keep the ball straight (pretty much regardless of distance), you'll score OK. If I'm playing that "long par 4", my goal is bogey. Par is just luck.

With putting, nobody makes more than maybe a third of putts outside of 5 feet. Even pros only make around 50%. So while putting is important, its really lag putting that will help you score. Chipping and pitching to the "smart side" of the hole to make your lag putt easier.

You'll hit a few "great" pitches, chips, and putts, but mostly its just about putting in spots that give you the best chance to make the next one.

http://www.thegolfingblog.com/2010/1...u-compare.html