View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #113
NTRPolice
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW10S View Post
I was playing in a college doubles tournament and since it was an early round there no umpires on court. We were on the farthest court from the tournament desk and one of our opponents was a foot faulter. My partner said to him 'you foot fault everytime, I don't want to walk all the way to the TD to get an umpire so stop.' The guy continued to foot fault so (1)the next time it was my partner's turn to serve he took the ball and walked all the way up the net and slammed the ball into the service box and said '15-love'. Our opponents asked 'what was that?' My partner said 'well if you're going to foot fault so am I'. On the next point my partner got the balls and started walking toward the net--our opponents said 'OK, OK, we get it, we'll stop'. The next time the foot faulter served he stood well off the baseline and foot faults were no longer an issue--worked like a charm. (2)Foot faulting is cheating no matter how slight--just like calling a ball that barely catches the line out.
(1)I dont see that happening in a "college doubles tournament" or in any tournament for that matter. If its college level tennis there should be chair umps... if not, at least some roaming officials.

(2)So is walking up to the net and slamming the ball into the service box and calling out "15-love". You are totally in your right to "get a ref", but doing what you did is not only a... foot fault... but also unsportsmanlike conduct and would result in suspension in most cases.

The response to cheating is not to cheat back harder. It never is.

Great story, but not very believable, and if it did happen, that was a really stupid thing to do. You not only risk defaulting the entire match but also risk being sanctioned. If this was just a "college aged people playing tennis" then whatever, but to do that in a "college doubles tournament" is just beyond stupid.

If someone is "that bad" then just call a ref. Imagine if they called a ref on you for doing that? Or if a ref just happened to look over and see those antics?