View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #40
FrisbeeFool
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5263 View Post
Very interesting links here to 2 vids where neither does the early tk back
Seems there is confusion by the poster between early and high take backs and
he seems to switch back and forth with his use of the terms.
The coach in the vid says nothing about a early tk back that I could find and
only mentions an early close of the racket.

Both of these are continuous loops after a brief stalking. Stalking looks almost
like a unit turn here where the ball comes right to them but there is an important
difference. Hunter, do you see that difference? Has nothing to do with the
high take back of this post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f97Krt-SnTM

This link should work better. I posted the other ones from my phone.

Peter Lungren says: "Stan is closing his racket head very early" He is of course referring to Stan's take-back. What else would he be referring to? That is how Stan closes the racket face, with his take-back. Watch the video. Look how early Stan's take-back is. You'll also notice that he takes the racket head back high, and then drops it's down in line with the ball. This is what creates the loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6rzrad0kWw
This link is only about the high takeback. If you watch the video, the players they show all have their racket back and are coiled, before the ball bounces. No counting to five here.

Early preparation with a higher takeback than more oldschool players like connors and evert. It's how everyone plays these days. With the high takeback you can drop the racket back down behind the ball and hit through it, even on higher bouncing balls.

To quote the guy in the second video: "What a high takeback is, is essentially a loop backswing."

Edit: Another thing I neglected to mention, that I think we are all in agreement on. In the takeback, there shouldn't be any extraneous motion, where the racket head is on the other side of the body, on the forehand. You should take the racket back by keeping a relaxed hitting hand and coiling your shoulders. On the forehand you want the racket head to stay on that one side of your body, so you can drop it down more or less in line with the ball. You don't want extraneous "baroque" motions that you often see juniors use which bring the racket face way around on the other side of the body on the takeback. This is what people mean when they refer to the compact take-back.

Last edited by FrisbeeFool : 10-10-2012 at 12:45 PM.
FrisbeeFool is offline   Reply With Quote