View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #71
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I just wanted to throw in a different angle when I posted Connors to be the overall most regular player at majors.I do not think he deserved nš 1 based on major records that year but he owned the very very strong WCT tour ( which only Borg,Vilas,Gottfried skipped among the best players).

Do you know my feeling? it may seem absurd but I think that very hot year was decided by a single double fault.That of Connors at the fifth set, tenth game of the Wimbly final.I am sure that, had not he committed that DF, he would have beaten Borg at the very final edge, after one of the greatest come back in modern history..and with Wimbledon,Masters and Dallas he would have been the nš 1.It may look a bit exagerated but...it could have been very real.
I can see your logic but the fact remains that Borg did win the Wimbledon final. Maybe Connors would won if he didn't double fault but to be honest, since he was playing Borg I'm not so sure about that. Borg did say that he thought Connors would win if not for the double fault but Borg does say a lot of things. I think Ashe made a comment once (I think it was when Borg in 1974 won another close match) that Borg would always say he was so lucky to win. Ashe wrote something to the effect that everyone knew he was NOT lucky to win these close matches.

And you also have to take into account Connors didn't have the best of years for him. He won 8 of 21 tournaments. A sub par Connors year in those days.
pc1 is online now   Reply With Quote