View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #72
kiki
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
I can see your logic but the fact remains that Borg did win the Wimbledon final. Maybe Connors would won if he didn't double fault but to be honest, since he was playing Borg I'm not so sure about that. Borg did say that he thought Connors would win if not for the double fault but Borg does say a lot of things. I think Ashe made a comment once (I think it was when Borg in 1974 won another close match) that Borg would always say he was so lucky to win. Ashe wrote something to the effect that everyone knew he was NOT lucky to win these close matches.

And you also have to take into account Connors didn't have the best of years for him. He won 8 of 21 tournaments. A sub par Connors year in those days.
But you are comparing Connors many more wins at Riordanīs tour, which had much weaker fields than 77 WCT.if you look at the WCT tour players, it is an impressive colection of talent, with Nastase,Laver ( quite old, true) and Rosewall ( the same), Stockton ( on his finest year),Dibbs,Ramirez,Solly,Okker,Gerulatis,Fibak,Pa natta ( a year after his great 76), Orantes,Cox,Drysdale,Alexander...I mean, really excelent field with terrific first round opponents.Only Borg and Vilas, and maybe Gottfried missed it, although Borg and Vilas did play the Montecarlo event.

As for Borg not being lucky, that is so true.He had been too lucky on too many times to believe in fairy tales.He was a cloutch winner, and that was his pattented trademark.But, the only time I felt he could have really lost a five setter, it was against Connors at that W final.I never had that feeling against Orantes in the 74 FO final, Lendl at the 1981,Tanner at the 1979 W final...and, after the match had reached a fifth set, I even thought he had the edge against Mac at the terrific 1980 Wimbledon final.

On the eother hand, I also think he never had the edge agaisnt Mac at the 1980 USO final, which was very clsoe at the score...call it feelings.