View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #29
BreakPoint
Bionic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryz View Post
The designer's name is Mike Huey, and the other fellow is named Dustin (didn't get his last name). Naturally, both were decked out in all Nike current gear. I'm sure that they shoes are not a paint job because Dustin was wearing a play test pair of current Vapors and they are not the same as what Mike brought by a stretch. A paint job would not account for differences in weight (I held both) or feel (Dustin tried on the new ones after wearing the current ones to the courts). Perhaps I'm naive, but I believe that the shoes I saw have been designed for Fed to start wearing soon, so that he can adjust to them before the Masters. That's what Mike shared. By the way, what information do you have that indicates that Fed and Nadal don't use retail versions of shoes (or clothes for that matter)? I don't have a horse in the proverbial race-- just sharing what I learned, which is no different than what a bystander talking to a stringer at a pro tournament might have overheard, learned and shared.
But since the new retail version is not even out yet, how can you compare what you saw with the new yet to be released retail version? Of course the new version is not going to be the same as the current version since they change the look of the uppers.

This topic of paintjobbed shoes has been discussed here many times before. I'm sure you can find the threads if you do a search. Even Chris from TW Staff admitted that Federer wears custom made shoes and not the retail versions. There are also pics of Federer wearing shoes that had the uppers of a newer version of the Vapors but had the soles of the older Vapor 2's. Nadal's shoes are also completely custom with special orthotics built in due to his congenital foot problem. You can find that info if you do a search here also.