View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 04:37 AM   #63
arche3
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeFool View Post
I Think the pictures are out of sequence because tennis magazine has changed their website, and it is an older article. I don't know I'm not a computer expert.

The only reason I posted the Stan Smith article is because he discusses Federer's modern takeback vs more old school players. I'm really not interested in getting into another MTM debate. All I will say on that matter, is if someone told me to stalk the ball, I would have no idea how they wanted me to prepare, coil, turn etc. In my view it's best to describe what is going on with more concrete language. MTM has as much connection to "modern tennis" as "Scientology" does to science.

There's really no point in these forums if someone can't discuss something simple like preparation, coiling, unit turn, takeback whatever you want to call it, without the MTM police showing up. Ok it's not preparation. It can only be called stalking, whatever that means.

"Modern" players generally take the racket head back higher than players in previous eras. That's what creates the loop backswing. It's something that's readily apparent if you watch much tennis or play at all. Good players in all eras prepare early. It's blatantly obvious if you watch or play tennis. I thought issues like these were germane to the original topic of the thread.I guess I'm not allowed to talk about any of this in a concrete fashion. I can't talk about preparation on groundstrokes. No preparation happens, only stalking. It's impossible to have a productive discussion in here about even the most basic aspects of the game.
There is also besides the height of the take back something else. The modern guys wait a split second longer to initiate the loop. To preserve the continuous loop. From unit turn to contact. Older era might wait with the racket behind them more often. I'm not even sure if the term unit turn is appropriate for the older era closed stance fhs.