View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #11
McLovin
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurakai View Post
The test racquet i used has a damaged grip in my opinion. Last end of grip feels a bit soft and moving (sorry for cant describing it better) and the market sign at the bottom is missing (no problem with that but perhaps another indicator that something is wrong).
I know exactly what you are talking about, and it is likely there is a problem with the pallet. Pacific grips use the Fischer pallet system, which is effectively a 2-piece shell that connects through the handle using 2 plastic screws (do a search on 'Fischer pallet' and your should see a thread or two w/ photos). It allows for easy swapping of grip sizes, but when damaged will feel as if the grip is moving. What is actually happening is the two pieces are sliding horizontally.

However, I doubt that is what is causing the arm problems. I hesitate to blame it on the strings, as many here are quick to say that dead poly, and not technique, is to blame for arm injuries. But when dealing with a demo racquet, this very well may be the case. Do you know what string was in it, when it was last strung, and at what tension it was strung?

You are correct in that many people have praised this frame (and its predecessor) for arm-friendliness, but that doesn't mean it is flawless. Ironically, a friend of mine switched to this frame over the summer and had me string it w/ 17g gut mains @ 54lbs, 17g SPPP crosses @ 52lbs. After a month, he had arm problems & had someone else restring it w/ full Pro Hurricane. Now his arm no longer hurts. Go figure...