View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #434
Avles
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshs View Post
No problem. No one will bother to ask you for your suggestions, so your time will not be consumed.

Meanwhile I will go with what real pros say, thanks a lot. You need not ask them because no doubt you are an accomplished player already, maybe only unknown to anybody else. I will go with verified people, thanks.
I can verify that I'm a complete nobody. Nonetheless I'm pretty sure that focusing on the wording pros use when they discuss their strokes will not magically lead to adoption of pro techniques.

My sense is that these arguments about "up and across" vs. "through the ball" tend to turn out pretty sterile and pointless, because:

1. Every player hits "through the ball" to some extent (so the ball goes forward)

2. Every player hits "up" to some extent (if not they couldn't apply topspin)

3. Every player hits "across" the ball (they follow through in the direct of their non-dominant hand)

From what I can see, these phrases aren't objective biomechanical descriptions of the forehand stroke. They aren't magic formulas. And they aren't antithetical, mutually exclusive concepts. They are, at most, mental cues which can help produce good strokes when mediated by the human brain.

My uneducated guess is that:

--Some players will benefit from thinking "through the ball" (e.g. if they need to focus on penetration or effective weight transfer into the court)

--Some players will benefit from thinking "up and across" (e.g. to increase topspin, or to reinforce the windshield wiper concept).

--Some players will probably derive little benefit from either of these mental cues.

For this reason, going to the mattresses about whether "up and across" or "through the ball" is correct seems futile to me. It's like the debate about whether the serve involves a "wrist snap" or not. The actual point is not whether the wrist really does snap or not, but whether thinking about a "wrist snap" can help lead to a good serve. I think results will vary from player to player.

FWIW, from a nobody! Feel free to ignore it and generate another 1000 posts on whether "through the ball" or "up and across" is correct...