View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #92
rkelley
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5263 View Post
Not for me.
I teach the rally shot as the biggest, strongest rip at the ball. Very aggressive
with power and spin, but too far back & too much power to worry with being too
close to the lines. Depend on power, spin, hop, and consistency to earn short
attackable returns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
You can only teach young, fit players who are trying to make it in tennis.
Old farts can't hit every ball hard.
And you will kill the rotator cuff in most of your students in a short time.
I"d back off that statement about "ripping" every rallyball as hard as you can swing, but aim to a safer spot idea. That is really blind tennis.
Even in young, fit, athletic kids, some rip like Courier, but other's message and feel like Gilbert, Rios, and Mecir.
Don't make the mistake of insisting every player has the same mentality or physical determination to just rip the ball every time.
I know the idea of simply swing hard and getting it in sounds romantic and a reachable goal, but it really is a fantasy for most players.
This coming from an old fart with rotator cuff problems on both shoulders and no ability to run.
I'm going to be 50 in a couple of days and I take a pretty serious rip at rally balls for exactly the reason that 5263 says. I'm hitting hard, lots of pace and spin, hitting to areas but not intentionally going for lines, usually cross court, and just trying to get get my opponent to cough up something I can attack. Being able to take that big cut but maintain a reasonable level of consistency has been my mission for the last couple of years. It's been slowly getting there. I can definitely look back a year and see the improvement. I'm fortunate to have a couple of guys that I play with who can really push me.

Everything still works. I haven't injured myself yet.
rkelley is offline   Reply With Quote