View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #123
mikej
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by db379 View Post
I am surprised no one has discussed this here yet. Tiburon Challenger in the SF bay area. Plenty of former college players battling it out this week. QF: Johnson won an easy match against Kudla. Seriously from what I saw, Kudla doesn't have any weapon to hurt Johnson and I wonder why he didn't go to college instead of turning pro...

R Williams lost a long 3 setter against Sock.

Klahn played a very close match against veteran B Reynolds, and lost in the tie-break of the 3rd. I really thought Klahn had the match. He was down 3-0 in the 3rd and managed to win 4 straight games to lead 4-3. He was a couple points away from the match on Reynolds serve at 5-4.... very very close. Reynolds had to dig deep and serve extremely well to win this. Good effort Brad!
i think you're too down on kudla based on one match you saw - his overall body of work is very solid
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/P...nis-Kudla.aspx

he's ranked 166 - that's higher than anyone you mentioned in those three matches except blake and reynolds (who is barely above him, ranked 162)

yes, sock and johnson have bigger games, kudla doesn't base his game around huge weapons like they do - but they're both ranked below him despite good us open showings (sock 220, johnson 174)

klahn and williams aren't close to his ranking (klahn 316, williams 277)

i think kudla would have totally wasted his time in college - he would've been too fit and steady for most college players to compete with - wouldn't have been stretched to develop bigger shots since he wouldn't have needed them to win comfortably - on tour he's pushed to up his game, and clearly he's doing pretty well with that ranking at 19 yrs old

Last edited by mikej : 10-13-2012 at 09:59 AM.
mikej is offline   Reply With Quote