View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #94
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
You can only teach young, fit players who are trying to make it in tennis.
Old farts can't hit every ball hard.
And you will kill the rotator cuff in most of your students in a short time.
I"d back off that statement about "ripping" every rallyball as hard as you can swing, but aim to a safer spot idea. That is really blind tennis.
Even in young, fit, athletic kids, some rip like Courier, but other's message and feel like Gilbert, Rios, and Mecir.
Don't make the mistake of insisting every player has the same mentality or physical determination to just rip the ball every time.
I know the idea of simply swing hard and getting it in sounds romantic and a reachable goal, but it really is a fantasy for most players.
This coming from an old fart with rotator cuff problems on both shoulders and no ability to run.
You might want to read my post again. I never said hit every ball hard; or even every rally ball hard.
I said I teach the rally ball as the biggest rip, meaning the biggest shot in the bag, like
hitting the big bertha driver. Pointing out you hit it harder than most other shots.
Of course you don't get the postion and set up to rip every one of
them, but when you do, give it the good rip you can. I didn't say go beyond you physical
ability and hurt yourself, but yet, with good modern technique, I don't see any reason you
can't take a good rip. If it is hurting you, then you are doing it wrong or already have an injury problem.
Good modern technique didn't likely cause it.
You are reading a lot into things that were never said or intended.