View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #272
Cheetah
Hall Of Fame

Well, you're trying so I'll give you some points for that.

But... that's not it. I know what you're going through. Been there myself. But just take my word for it... you don't have the 'feeling' of that move yet. It takes awhile.

The first problem is your right leg. You have this habit, which I mentioned before , that your last step is your left leg. You always plant and load with your right but then you step out with your left leg. That messes everything up and causes you to arm the ball and pull off to the left side like you did in your dancing days. you need to move to the ball and the LAST STEP is the loading of the right leg. then push off the right. what you are doing now is load on right, step on left leg (which unloads everything ) then you are standing up on your right.

To get the 'millenium fh' down and the ssc you need to push off the right. You can't start the move just with the arm like you are doing. The tutorial on VTA is spot on. He emphasizes this point too several times and he is correct. You need to do that set position and then push off with your right leg. He shadows that part over and over in the vid. Trust me, I know how to do this and I'm guaranteeing with 100% confidence that you cannot do that move without the loose arm and leg push. The leg push doesn't have to be huge. Any push will do. If you push off with the right leg and the racquet is in the position he describes (which yours isn't btw) and your arm is loose then you are going to be able to do it.

You need to fix your racquet set up before the move. You have it a little flat. Watch the VTA vid again and get your setup to look like that. The racquet has to be in the exact position or extremely close to it for this move to work.

It's not easy to get the feel. I've been there. You gotta shadow swing the crap out of it till somehow u do it right once and the lightbulb will go off in your head and you'll go 'ohhhh!!! that's it!!!!!'.

Here's some advice.. if the move doesn't feel 100% natural and 100% very easy to do then you are doing it wrong and you need to change something. If you do it right it's very easy and feels good and you will know you are doing it right.

If you do it right the racquet moves like that on it's own. You don't have to manipulate it. It just goes by itself and it will look like all the pros.

Look at Li Na. If she can do it so can you. Does your racquet path like like this? The answer is no.
If you do it right it will look like this. You don't have to be a mega athlete or super flexible. This is just the way the racquet moves if you follow every single step with all the reference points and angles that vta describes.

Don't flick your arm. Don't flick your wrist etc like u are doing in those shadow swings. The racquet will move by itself if done correctly. And contact is made when your wrist returns to neutral like Li Na's. And note how Li Na is going into the ball (her energy from the swing is going into contact). Unlike you, because of that left leg, you always seem to go to the left.

Last edited by Cheetah : 10-14-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote