View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
winstonplum
Hall Of Fame

Smile Tournaments Should Now Be Required to Provide Nole With a Customized Wheelbarrow

. . . to help him carry his stones around in. Jesu* C*rist. Has anybody even been so clutch in the history of tennis? Another thread here was counting up the match points he's saved. One of our in-house tennis scholars should really look that up: how many match points has Nole saved in slams or MS 1000, and who else is close or ahead of him.

The match was on here in LA at 5:00 so I DVRd it. Couldn't make it through the day without checking the score--sure enough Nole wins, saving 5 MPs along the way. Holy mackerel. Match points are usually foregone conclusions. The tension, the fear, the air of inevitability just crush the player that's behind. Nole has a once in a life time ability to block it out far, far better than any player I've ever seen. If there's one category where he's the runaway GOAT, it's definitely fighting off MPs in slams and big tournaments.

Give a break . . . that game where Murray was serving for the match in the second set, up 30-0, and looking for triple match point and Nole goes tweener, drop shot. That loud clunking sound you heard were those stones banging onto the ground. Unfreakingbelievable.

PS That's not a choke in the slightest by Murray. That just playing a guy who cannot be killed. I've played and lost lots of matches like that; part of you wants to smash your racquet into a thousand pieces, but another part of you has to tip your hat to someone who plays so clutch at the biggest moments.
winstonplum is offline   Reply With Quote