View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #14
Qubax
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Without Federer there was no consistent force to stop Roddick. While there were far more talented players around like Nalbandian, Safin, Haas, even Davydenko they were all very inconsistent. If Roddick had the confidence of winning more majors and not being destroyed by Federer so many times I'm sure he could have been a very steady face at the tail-end of majors. Tennis is a confidence game, and Federer destroyed Roddick's. Despite that, he was still one of the most mentally tough players on tour and I think that would have helped him a lot if Federer didn't exist.
Great post!

That's really the "X" Factor with Roddick. His Compete level.

He was just such a bull dog.

Forget how lethal Roddick's serve was in a general sense. Was their any player in the last decade who was better then Roddick down 15-40 or 30-40 on serve?

Anyway, back on topic. Roddick has a meh backhand, ugh Volleys, Fugly movement etc., But Roddick had the serve, at times a decent FH he could ramp up, and an endless supply of give a damn.

Without Federer Roddick would have been vastly overated. Because he may have achieved 5-7 slams, but not really been any different as a player. He would have been compared with Agassi and his 8 slams, when in all reality Agassi was always milllllllllles ahead of Andy.

But believe me, if Andy was rockin' 6 slams. There would be a lot of folks making the mistake that Roddick was kinda close to Agassi.