View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #287
Greg G
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
In the end, what matters is how your forehand is performing for you. Are you confident it can hit a forcing shot whenever you see one? Are you consistent AND powerful with that forehand?
Can the pace and spin, consistency and accuracy take you to the next level?
Great technique certainly helps, but having the ball go where and when you want it to, with the pace and spin you need, is the bottom line.
Hi Leed, yeah a good point you make. And the thought has crossed my mind of when enough is enough. But the answer is definitely no. And it is in stark contrast to the backhand, which I hit without thinking. The whole reason I decided to retool is because the old forehand just wasn't a weapon. Not something I would run around my backhand for, and sometimes I would choose the backhand on center hit shots. This retooled forehand sometimes shows me that it can become a weapon- much more options than the old linear one, and I can actually hit winners off it. But it's a bit streaky right now, which is why I'm focusing on technique. It's still a ways to go, but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Plus, I'm the OC kind of guy who enjoys this kind of tinkering. Even in my junior days, I'd just take a basket out and work for hours. While I'd love to do that now, I have just a a couple hours a week to play- video analysis helps maximize the productivity of these sessions. And of course all your input is invaluable.

Last edited by Greg G : 10-15-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote